Anton Mosimann confirmed as Nestlé Toque d’Or Judge
Culinary powerhouse Anton Mosimann is set to headline this year’s panel of judges at the annual Nestlé Toque d’Or competition.
Mosimann’s involvement in the event will be a milestone occasion, given that he was the first ever winner of the competition when it was first launched overseas.
Recognised internationally for his culinary expertise, Mosimann has held many high-powered positions and received numerous accolades throughout his career. Mosimann’s Limited holds a Royal Warrant as caterers to HRH The Prince of Wales. In recognition of his work for the wedding reception of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, he was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant of Greater London. In 2004, Mosimann received an OBE for services to the Tourist and Food Industries.
Mosimann will join an elite group of chefs and industry experts who have been drafted to judge at this year’s event.
NZChefs National President and event organiser, Graham Hawkes, said it will be an incredible privilege to host Mosimann in Auckland.
“To have such an important icon in the culinary world as guest judge at this year’s event is a great honour. His culinary prowess is world class and his insights will be of great benefit to the competitors,” Graham said.
Now into its 28th year, Nestlé Toque d’Or is considered by those in the industry to be the premier student culinary and front of house competition in the country. The event shines a light on New Zealand’s emerging culinary and restaurant service superstars as they compete for the top title in a live kitchen cook off.
This year, 27 students and apprentices from the country’s leading training institutes including Sky City have signed on to compete.
Each representative team comprises two culinary and one restaurant service. They must create and present a menu they have developed to judges and special guests within a set timeframe. Last year, a team from the Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology Rotorua took out the title.
Mosimann and the other judges on the panel will assess teams against WorldChefs judging criteria which covers a range of areas including: timing, taste, food preparation skills, service, presentation and hygiene.
Graham said post event feedback from the judges is a vital part of the competition.
“Receiving feedback directly from a heavyweight such as Anton Mosimann will be a truly unique and memorable experience for the teams.”
Aside from judging at the New Zealand Nestlé Toque d’Or competition, Mosimann will also be in town to promote his latest book Life is a Circus: an autobiography.
The 28th Nestlé Toque d’Or will be held on Monday 13th August at the Auckland Showgrounds. An awards dinner will be held later in the evening at the Heritage Auckland where the winning team will be announced.
Sponsors include Nestlé Professional, Beef + Lamb New Zealand, vegetables.co.nz, Akaroa Salmon, House of Knives, Moffat and NZChefs.
This year's judges are: