- 6 portions
- ½ cup plain flour
- Salt & pepper
- 10 portions veal shanks for Osso Buco
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
-1 tsp graham marsala
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin seeds
- 250mL white wine
- 3 x tinned tomatoes
- 1/3 cup CHEF® Veal Liquid Concentrate + 2L water
- 3 tbps tomato paste
- 1 tbps honey
- ½ cup finely chopped herbs – Italian parsley, rosemary and basil
- 3 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely sliced
- 2 ½ cups couscous
- 4 tbsp CHEF® Vegetable Liquid Concentrate
- 2 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 coloured peppers, finely diced
- 2 zucchinis finely diced
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 bunch mint leaves, roughly torn
- Sea salt & cracked pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees. Dust shanks in combined flour and seasoning, and sear in olive oil, remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery to pan and sauté until lightly coloured, add spices and wine and let evaporate off. Add tinned tomato, veal stock, tomato paste and honey and simmer a few minutes.
3. Pour half the veal sauce into large roasting pan and arrange veal shanks on top in a single layer, pour over remaining veal sauce, cover and cook slowly for at least 4-6 hours until tender. Strain off sauce, if desired and reduce until thickened. Taste for seasoning.
4. For gremolata combine finely diced parsley, lemon and garlic or alternatively blitz in a blender until fine.
5. For the couscous, heat CHEF® Vegetable Liquid Concentrate and water until near boiling.
Pour over couscous and cover, allow to swell for 5 minutes then fluff up with a fork.
5. Heat olive oil and sauté peppers, zucchini and onion for 2-3 minutes until just tender and brightly coloured. Toss sautéed vegetables with couscous, pomegranate and mint leaves, season well.
6. Serve Osso Buco on jewel coloured couscous and sprinkle over gremolata.
Add a little chili to the gremolata for an extra kick Change out the couscous for polenta chips or a hearty mash
Use the CHEF® Mushroom or Vegetable Concentrate to add flavour to the couscous
Try this dish with lamb shanks instead and use CHEF® Lamb Liquid Concentrate instead of the Veal